The most amazing thing about Madrid is that all the great things from all around Spain have been condensed into one city! Ann the surrounding areas have many day trip destinations that will take you deep into Spanish history, religion, and culture.
When you visit Madrid, you should be sure to see and experience:
- Some of the world’s best museums; the Art Triangle of Prado - Reina Sofia - Thyssen, and dozens more museums for every interest and age.
- The major sites linked to Spanish Royalty, like the Royal Palace in the city and El Escorial just outside the city limits.
- An authentic flamenco performance, in one of the numerous tablaos. Madrid was responsible for the revival of Flamenco after many years of decline.
- Tapas! Madrid has some of the best tapas from all over Spain, and even if you are going to Andalucia you should taste the tapas in Madrid.
- Gin and Tonic. Madrid has endless bars and clubs that serve dozens of varieties of gin and tonic, the favourite drink of the city.
You should not forget to plan your trip in a way that you can visit at least one or two places around Madrid - choose from Toledo, Segovia, Avila, and many more cultural and historically important towns. A day trip to Toledo
is a definite must – do.