15 free things to do in Madrid
1. Free walking tour
2. Madrid’s Royal Palace
Calle de Bailén, s/n, 28071 Madrid, Website
3. Plaza Mayor and Puerta del sol
Plaza Mayor, 28012 Madrid
4. Madrid Artwalkvisit Prado museum for free in this post.
Paseo del Arte, Madrid. Website
5. Museo Taurino
Calle de Alcalá, 237, 28028 Madrid, Website
Plaza de Chamberí, s/n, 28010 Madrid Website
7. El Parque del Buen Retiro
Plaza de la Independencia, 7, 28001 Madrid
8. Madrid Local Marketslocal markets of Madrid.
9. Templo de Debod
Calle Ferraz, 1, 28008, Madrid
10. Stroll along Gran Via
11. Caixaforum Madrid
Paseo del Prado, 36, 28014 Madrid. Website
12. El Tigre
Calle Infantas 30, 28004 Madrid
13 Stunning view of Madrid
14. Madrid Rio Park
15. Mataderoofficial website to know what's going on.
Things to do for free on Sunday in Madrid
On Sundays entry is free at the following hours
Prado : 5pm – 7pm
Reina Sofia Museum : 1:30 - 7:00 p.m
National Archaeology Museum and Museo de América : All day
2. El Rastro Market
El Rastro, Madrid's most famous flea market is held in La Latina on Sundays until 3 pm.
What to do for free at night?
Madrid is known for its buzzing nightlife. Unfortunately, there are limited options for those looking out for free options. Here are some interesting ideas
- Madrid hosts many international nightclubs. Most of them do have a hefty cover charge. However, some are free. For instance, Tupperware waives cover charges for early birds. You can get more ideas from this article written by students of Madrid university.
- Flamenco shows are your best bet for nightlife in Madrid. However, most of the performance has an entry fee. Book a ticket to the show and avoid having expensive dinner at the tablao.
- Madrid has the highest concentration of bars anywhere in the world. The ones which are easy on the pocket is found in areas like Malasaña, Alonso Martinez, Arguelles and Chueca.
- Often there are many concerts and shows that are free. Get hold of the latest edition of Time Out for the listing
Free child friendly attractions in Madrid
If you are travelling with children, you might want to explore following child-friendly activities, all available for free:
Madrid has some of the best parks: Retiro Park, Madrid Rio, Casa de Campo and Juan Carlos I Park. Of the lot, Madrid Rio has many free entertainment for kids like playgrounds, splash pads, big slides, skating rink and bike trails.
The entry is free but the planetarium looks outdated. It is going in for a major renovation and hopefully, the new avatar will be more engrossing for children.
Madrid city administration runs children focused festival Juvenalia. During the festival, you will have many shows, workshops and educational and cultural activities for children from 0 to 12 years.
4. Parque Europa
Little away from Madrid at Torrejon De Ardoz but definitely worth the trip. The park has replicas of many of the world's famous monuments and a large children play area. Entry to the park is free on all days.