Most Helpful Answer
Prado Museum Free Hours (General Public)
- From Monday to Saturday : 6pm – 8pm
- Sundays and holidays : 5pm – 7pm
- It is always free for those under 18 and students with a bonafide student card. In fact, students can even skip line by following a simple tip.
Tips for visiting Prado museum for free
- Reach at least 30 minutes before the start of free hours as the lines are long during free hours
- I have noticed that lines are shorter on Mondays through Wednesdays. If your itinerary permits, schedule a visit to Prado museum on these days.
- Prado museum follows "no bag/no camera" policy. Please use the free locker and cloakroom service available at all access points and place your bag in the locker before the commencement of free hours.
- Here is one insider trick. If the lines are exceptionally long, head to Los Jerónimos Entrance and buy a ticket to the temporary exhibition. During the free hours, there is a 50% discount on the tickets to the temporary exhibition.
- Two hours is too short a time to appreciate Prado. Be prepared and use the guidelines in this post on how to visit Prado in two hours. In any case, collect the free floor plan available at the entrance.
- You must download the free app, The Essential Art Walk, developed
by Madrid Tourism. It has details of eight masterpieces in the Prado Museum
- After your free visit to the Prado museum, you can walk to nearby Reina Sofia Museum for Picasso’s Guernica, probably Picasso’s most famous work.
Free hours for Reina Sofia Museum
- Monday to Friday from 7pm to 9pm
- Saturday from 2.30pm to 9pm
- Sunday from 10am to 2.30pm
For the museum freaks
- Prado museum is simply amazing and deserves more than two hours. You can either visit over two days or pay for Prado museum and visit the other two of the "big 3" museums during their free hours. Thyssen museum is free on Mondays between 12:00-16:00 hours.
- Buy Madrid museum card called the Paseo del Arte. It is definitely worth the money for skip the line benefits it offers.
- If you are an absolute museum freak, please do buy Annual Museum Membership for Euro 36. You get access to some of the most acclaimed museums across Spain for free.