No, it is not worth buying the Madrid museum pass (Paseo del Arte three-museum pass)
- Reina Sofia museum can be visited during its free hours (7:00 - 9:00 p.m/ Sundays between 1:30 - 7:00 p.m)
- It is the Prado museum that has the longest line. The lines are shortest in the morning at 10AM.
- If find the lines long, then walk to the Thyssen museum and buy the 3 Museum pass.(lines for the pass is shortest at Thyssen museum) and then enter Prado museum through Puerto de Murillo entrance.
- If you can plan your itinerary such that you are in Madrid on Mondays, you can visit Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum free on Mondays between 12.00 and 16.00. Thyssen museum is not as crowded as Prado during the free hours.
Madrid Museum Pass may not be worth it.
Be smart! Do not buy art walk pass in advance.
With smart planning, knowledge of free times and seeing the traffic on your visit days, you may be able to avoid buying the Madrid Museum pass. Or at the least you can postpone the buying decision until you are in Madrid.
You can use generous free entry times
Though all the three museums are ticketed, but have generous free hours, especially Reina Sofia museum.
Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum is free on Mondays between 12.00 and 16.00. Reina Sofia museum is free on all weekdays between 7:00 - 9:00 p.m and on Sundays between 1:30 - 7:00 p.m. Even though the Prado museum attracts the most crowds, it can be visited for free following the tips mentioned in this post - Visiting The Prado for free.
For the most part of the year (excluding summer months), crowds at Reina Sofia museum are minimal even during free hours. If you plan your itinerary well, you can visit Reina Sofia museum during free hours.
Don’t visit all 3 museums on the same day
I will suggest that you should not visit all the three museums in one day. You should visit it over two days, plan your schedule such that you can visit Reina Sofia museum during its free hours. If you are lucky, you can schedule to visit Thyssen museum on Mondays.
Decide to buy (or not) the 3 Museum pass when in Madrid
You get the gist of where I am heading. Yes, do not hurry and buy Paseo del Arte Pass online. Smarter thing to do is to buy when you are in Madrid.
Shorter lines at Thyssen
On the day of your visit to Prado museum, check the line at Prado museum. For most part of the year, lines are not very long, you will reach the ticket office in 10 minutes or less. It is only during summers that Prado museum gets crowded. When you see a long line at Prado museum, walk for 500 m to Thyssen museum and buy your art walk pass over there. Lines at Thyssen museum are always short.
Senior citizens (people over the age of 65), children and youth under the age of 18 and students (carrying International Student Identity Card) need not buy the Madrid museum pass as admission to the museums is free on production of valid ID proof.
Madrid 3 Museum pass
The Paseo del Arte Pass or Artwalk Pass allows fast and discounted entry to 3 of the biggest museums in Madrid: Prado Museum, Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, and the Reina Sofia museum. If the ticket is bought from ticketing office of the museum, it is valid for one year. If you buy it online, it is valid for one year from the date of endorsement of the ticket. You will have to get the ticket endorsed at the first of the three museums that you visit.
Benefits of Madrid Art Walk 3 Museum Pass
- With Paseo del Arte Pass, you do not have to stand in line as museums
can be accessed directly, without passing through the ticket offices.
- At 28,00 €, there is a 20% discount when compared to buying tickets
to each of the museums individually.
Annual Museum Membership Card
While the Paseo del Arte Card costs 28.00 €, Annual Membership Card for National Museums costs only 36,06 €. The advantage with National museums card is that it covers 18 museums all across Spain, including Prado and Reina Sofia museum. Unfortunately, it does not include Thyssen-Bornemisza museum.
Not only does it include more museums, it is also a multi-entry museum pass. You can visit, as many times as you wish, any of the following museums
- Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía
- Museo Nacional del Prado
- Museo Arqueológico Nacional
- Museo Cerralbo
- Museo de América
- Museo del Traje. CIPE
- Museo Nacional de Antropología
- Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas
- Museo del Romanticismo
- Museo Sorolla
In Almagro (Ciudad Real)
- Museo del Teatro
- In Cartagena (Murcia)
- Museo Nacional de Arqueología Subacuática ARQUA
- In Mérida (Badajoz)
- Museo Nacional de Arte Romano
- In Santillana del Mar (Cantabria)
- Museo Nacional y Centro de Investigación de Altamira
- Museo del Greco
- Museo Sefardí
- Museo Nacional de Cerámica y Artes Suntuarias "González Martí"
- Museo Nacional de Escultura
- Museo Casa de Cervantes