For expensive brands go to Milla de Oro ‘golden mile’ in Salamanca district, and for everyday stuff go to Xanadu the biggest shopping mall in Spain.
Upscale fashion shopping
- On Calle Serrano and Calle Velazquez you’ll find a mix of high-end designer marques as well as high street brands, and both streets are well worth visiting regardless of whether or not you plan to buy anything.
- Towards the northern end of Calle Serrano you’ll find the recently refurbished ABC Serrano shopping centre, an upscale mall with a selection of exclusive clothing stores. The building, which was previously a newspaper office, was undergoing some extensive construction work until very recently, but has now completely re-opened.
- Zara on Plaza del Liceo is particularly impressive and well worth a visit. The modern black steel and glass structure was constructed around the ruins of an 18th century convent and features an imposing 22-meter high dome.
- Calle de Jose Ortega y Gasset cuts horizontally through Salamanca and is the place to go if you’re in the market for designer fashion. There are dozens of big-name international brands, including Louis Vuitton, Cartier, and Dolce and Gabbana, to name but a few.
- In the month of September, Salamanca neighborhood hosts the famous “Vogue Fashion Night Out”. During the fashion week, over 250 stores and restaurants open with discounts and activities.
- Madrid’s bi-annual Mercedes-Benz fashion week, where local fashion design talent exhibit their creations is also popular.
High street shopping Madrid
El Corte Ingles, Madrid's own department store chain have started standalone stores, Serrano Woman and Serrano Man. Serrano Woman is an excellent destination for high street shopping. It has five floors of fashion, beauty, and accessories, as well as a number of International and Spanish brands
Personally, I am not big on malls. If you prefer shopping in malls, head to Xanadu, the biggest shopping mall in Spain. It is easily accessible as it is only a bus ride from Estacion Del Norte. Xanadu also houses the only indoor ski zone in all of Europe.
If you are in a hurry, you can just visit El Corte Ingles department stores. They stock everything you could possibly wish. The largest store is located close to Nuevos Ministerios metro station.