Barcelona is a popular long weekend destination.
Every long weekend, I have friends from the UK visiting me for the weekend, utilizing low fares offered by Ryanair or Easyjet. Those coming for a weekend football break, fly down to Girona to avail of dirt-cheap rates.
My recommendation is to make your own itinerary based on what is happening on the weekend of your visit to Barcelona. No need to buy a weekend package to Barcelona. The well-advertised, all-inclusive weekend packages to Barcelona are boring and plastic. Seeking the assistance of professional tour operators makes sense only if you are planning a stag weekend in Barcelona or a hen weekend in Barcelona.
Here are some tips
1. Sightseeing bus to get flavor of Barcelona
Barcelona Bus tour is extremely popular with those visiting Barcelona for a weekend. You can hop on and hop off to see Barcelona at your own pace. It helps you get the flavor of Barcelona in a day,
2. Go on a Barcelona walking tour
I hate packaged sightseeing tours – they are clichéd and touristic. However, I prefer walking tours. They are personal, intimate and conducted by passionate and knowledgeable locals.
Numerous companies offer pay-what-you-wish Barcelona walking tours. These typically take in the Barri Gòtic or the Modernista sites of L’Eixample district. A few recommended walking tour companies you can consider during your weekend trip to Barcelona include :
- Runner Bean Tours
- Feel Free Tours
- Orange Donut Tours
- Discover Walks
Get the details of scheduled events
If you are planning a weekend to Barcelona, I will urge you to first get the list of events scheduled in Barcelona for the weekend. You can add any interesting weekend event to your weekend trip.
- Timeout is a good resource for weekend events.
- Barcelona tourism site also has a good list of upcoming events
scheduled over the weekend.
- You can also try listings at the Barcelona Culture website for a
listing of weekend events.
4. Taste Barcelona at La Boqueria food market
5. Plan shopping on Saturdays
If you are into shopping on your weekend trip to Barcelona, plan shopping on Saturdays as most shops are closed on Sundays, except in the peak season of July and August
Useful resources for planning a Barcelona weekend break.
- 36 hours in Spain [Telegraph] Sally Davies, Barcelona expert, who has authored many articles on Barcelona food and culture that have been published across several other guidebooks has written a practical guide useful while planning a weekend in Barcelona.
- The same author has written an article for Lonely Planet – A perfect weekend in Barcelona
- Are you planning a football weekend in Barcelona? Maybe you should read this article
- Blog The Everygirl’s Weekend City Guide to Barcelona Spain, is excellent to understand what are the things you can do in Barcelona over a weekend.
I won't write off all the weekend packages. Sometimes you get a good deal on lastminute.com - their Barcelona weekend hotels + flights offer. Even if you buy the 'Barcelona Weekend Package', the trip itinerary is flexible as the weekend package only includes flight ticket and accommodation.