Budget € 90 - 110 per person, per day, for a holiday in Rome.
- Accommodation: € 50 for comfortable accommodation
- Meals: € 30 for 3 meals a day
- Drinks: € 10 for 3 drinks a day
- Transport: € 3 for 2 single rides a day
This does not include price of entry tickets to attractions, or any souvenir shopping expenses.
Accommodation cost in Rome
Room rent per night:
- Hostels : 18/25 €
- Budget Hotels :50/60 €
- Mid range Hotels : 100/130 €
Room rates in Rome depend on the type of accommodation, location and date of visit. The room tariffs are higher during Christmas holidays and cheaper during the month of February as well as in the months of September and October.
The area surrounding Rome’s Termini station has many budget accommodation options, while the Centro Storico comes recommended as the best location to stay in Rome. Tridente neighborhood, the area around Spanish Steps has many upscale options.
Cost of eating out in Rome
- Breakfast : 1 - 2 €
- Lunch : 5- 15 €
- Dinner : 10-25 €
If you can avoid touristy restaurants, cost of food is not high in Rome.
If you want to have a good meal without breaking the bank, head to any of the Rome’s 125 food markets. My favourite is the Testaccio food market which is more of an edible museum. Over there, you get to authentic Roman food at down to earth prices.
Cost of drinks in Rome
- Coffee: Maximum 1 euro
- Beer: Between 2.50 and 5 €
- Wine (a glass): Between 5 and 7 €
- Cocktails: Between 5 and 10 €
- Water: Between 0.50 and 1.50 €
Cost of Transport
A ticket (for a ride) of tram / metro / bus costs € 1.50
My advice is to take public transportation only when it is really needed. For example, from Colosseum to Vatican city. For seeing the rest of the city, it is quite possible to just walk around. The scents, sights and flavour of Rome makes walking in Rome an enriching experience. If you are staying for long, you can consider buying a Roma tourist pass.
Cost of reaching city centre from Airport
There are two airports in Rome: FCO (Fiumicino/Leonardo da Vinci) and CIA (Ciampino). Most international flights arrive at FCO airport. Some of the budget airlines like RyanAir and Wizz Air fly into Ciampino.
City centre from FCO airport
- By Airport Metro [Leonardo Express]: € 14 one way
- By FR1 Local Train: € 8 one way
- By Terravision Bus: €4 one way
- By Taxi: Flat rate of €48 one way
Cost of Attractions in Rome
This depends on the attractions and tours you shortlist. Roma Pass is the citypass aimed at tourists. However, in my opinion buying Roma Pass may not be worth it.
My estimate for one week, for 2 persons approximately 840 €
Here is my take :
- 14 € + 14 € Leonardo Express ticket (Fiumicino> Roma Termini and vice
versa) per person
- You should consider an approximate cost of 50 € per night including breakfast, I am assuming you will stay in a self catering apartment or hostel.
- Minimum 10 € per lunch-day-coffee per person
- About 15 € on dinner day
- Public transport 18 € of BIT for three days (or a weekly from 24 €)
- Approximate cost for visiting: Vatican + Sistine Chapel + St. Peter's Basilica with audio guide + Colosseum / Palatine / Roman Forum + Castel Sant'Angelo of 70 € / person