Museums to visit in Madrid
Here is my list of museums which I have put under interest areas to make it simple for you to decide.
The BIG 3 of Art
- Museo del Prado - The must visit museum of Spain, famous for masterpieces by Goya, Velazquez, and many more.
- Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum - famous for old masters and the best way to understand the different classical art schools of Europe.
- Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía - Spanish modern and contemporary art.
For the entire family
- FIBA Hall of Fame - Basketball museum
- Museo del Aire - Museum of aviation and aircraft
- Museo Naval de Madrid - Naval history of Spain including actual whole
- Royal Armoury of Madrid - Houses personal arms of Spanish Royals, and
also other weapons and art.
- Bullfighting Museum - interesting memorabilia from famous fights.
- Railway Museum - Collection of historic equipment and engines, housed
in an old railway station.
Contemporary art and design
- CaixaForum Madrid - Contemporary art in a stunning designer building
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo - Devoted to the evolution of Spanish
- contemporary art - it includes paintings, sculpture, and installations.
House museums and collections
- Museo Sorolla - The best works of Joaquin Sorolla, the Spanish master, displayed in the house where he lived.
- Museum of Lope de Vega - House museum of the famous writer, with his
- Museum of Lázaro Galdiano - the personal collection of Galdiano includes manuscripts, jewelry, ceramics, coins, and other objects from all over the world.
Collections of interesting objects
- Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas - Interior decorative arts like furniture, ceramics, glass, and textiles, from all over the world. Located very close to the Art Triangle of Madrid.
- Museum Cerralbo - A treasure of historical objects and art, baroque furniture, and chandeliers.
- Temple of Debod - Egyptian Archaeological marvel sitting in the middle of Madrid.
- Museo Casa de la Moneda - Royal Mint museum containing coins, medals,
stamps, and old books.
- Museo del Traje - Museum for fashion and costumes
Archaeology and Anthropology
- Museo Nacional de Antropología - Oldest anthropology museum in Spain
- Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales - Natural history museum
- National Archaeological Museum of Spain - contains prehistoric objects, and antiquities from various civilizations over centuries. It also contains Spanish Royal collections of artefacts.
- Museum of the Americas - collections of art and objects from the Latin American continent.
- Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando - Museum and Gallery in
a beautiful building in the center of Spain. It houses works of many Spanish masters.
- Museum of Romanticism - Art from the Romanticism school is the main attraction of this small museum.
- El Escorial - Spanish Royal palace, largest in Spain, located outside Madrid. It is today a monastery.
- Royal Palace of Aranjuez - A royal palace and residence outside Madrid. Visit for the amazing insight into Spanish Royalty.
- Museo de Escultura al Aire Libre de Alcalá de Henares - Outdoor sculpture museum along old city walls of Alcala de Henares.
Visiting all Madrid Museums
If you are keen on visiting many museums, you should consider buying 3 Museum Pass [many opine that it is NOT worth the money] or National Pass. You can also buy Madrid Pass as it entails you to avail discount across many museums. Also, many of the smaller museums have free entry all day or between 7-9pm.